Museums and Heritage

national-museum1

The National Museum of Fine Arts Of Havana in Havana, Cuba is a museum of Fine Arts that exhibits Cuban art collections from the colonial times up to contemporary generations. t was founded on February 23, 1913 due to the efforts of its first director, Emilio Heredia, a well-known architect. After frequent moves it was finally placed on the block once occupied by the old Colon Market. In 1954, a new Palacio of Bellas Artes was opened, designed by the architect Rodriguez Pichardo. The original 1954 Palacio was recently reconstructed by the architect Jose Linares and a second building was taken over for the Museum.

prison1

The Presidio Modelo: each building is a circle of prison cells surrounding a center watchtower. The idea behind the design was that the watchtower would be darkened making it impossible for the inmates to tell if they were being watched. This would cause a sense of invisible omniscience. Fidel Castro, his brother Raul, and other survivors of the rebel attacks on Moncado Barracks were housed in these particular panopticons, which were designed to hold up to 2,500 prisoners. With Castro’s rise, the Presidio Modelo was used to hold political dissidents, homosexuals, Jehovah’s Witnesses, counter-revolutionaries, and any other “enemies” to the dictator.

cheguevara1

The Che Guevara Mausoleum is a memorial in Santa Clara, Cuba. It houses the remains of executed Marxist revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara and twenty-nine of his fellow combatants killed in 1967 during Guevara’s attempt to spur an armed uprising in Bolivia. The full area which contains a bronze 22-foot statue of Che is referred to as the Ernesto Guevara Sculptural Complex. Guevara was buried with full military honors on 17 October 1997 after his exhumed remains were discovered in Bolivia and returned to Cuba. At the site, there is a museum dedicated to Guevara’s life and an eternal flame lit by Fidel Castro in Che’s memory. Santa Clara was chosen as the location in remembrance of Guevara’s troops taking the city on December 31, 1958, during the Battle of Santa Clara.

camaguey1

The Historic Centre Of Camaguey has an unusual radius-concentric urban model. The nucleus is the Plaza Mayor, from where numerous churches and convents can be found in equidistant position to the four winds. Most of Camagüey’s churches are the result of the city’s prosperity in the 18th century, when so many new ones were built that it got the nickname “City of Churches”. The city’s domestic architecture is reminiscent of Andalusia. Clay is used as the main construction product, both in buildings and in the large earthenware jars that were used for storing water. Houses are generally low, having one floor only. The streets are narrow, opened up by 7 large squares and 13 smaller ones.

granma1

The Granma is the yacht that was used to transport 82 fighters of the Cuban Revolution from Mexico to Cuba in November 1956 for the purpose of overthrowing the regime of Fulgencio Batista. The 60-foot (18 m) diesel-powered cabin cruiser was built in 1943 and designed to accommodate 12 people. “Granma”, in English, is an affectionate term for a grandmother; the yacht is said to have been named for the original owner’s grandmother

revolution1

The Museum of the Revolution is a museum located in the Old Havana section of Havana, Cuba. The museum is housed in what was the Presidential Palace of all Cuban presidents from Mario García Menocal to Fulgencio Batista. It became the Museum of the Revolution during the years following the Cuban revolution.

 

http://world-infos.com/informationform/ http://world-infos.com/advertform/ http://world-infos.com/privacy/ http://world-infos.com/termsconditions/ http://world-infos.com http://world-infos.com http://flights4you.net/ http://rooms-4you.com/ http://rent-a-car-4you.com/ http://game-nature-reserves.com/ http://museums-heritages.com/ http://holiday-islands.com/ http://holiday-islands.com/ Image Map